FC5 and new init system

Tyler Larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Tue Nov 15 16:20:07 UTC 2005

Dax Kelson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 14:56 -0700, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
>> On Monday 14 November 2005 02:24pm, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>> Same here. A lot of people were holding their breath for this, trying
>>> not to scare you off - seems it didn't have the intended effect.
>>>
>>> Will go AOL from now on ;)
>> Or we could all just hit Harald's <harald at redhat.com> email directly with our
>> AOL "Me too"'s and spare the list. ;)
>>
>> You'll get at least 7 votes from us at Guru Labs; as long as there is no XML
>> in it.
>
> Well, more accurately, as long as it doesn't suck. :)
>
> The devil is in the design and implementation details ... yadda yadda.
>
> Dax Kelson

Which, of course, brings up the question of what the details actually are.
When we say, "replace SysVinit", is everyone actually talking about replacing
init, or do we think we're talking about replacing initscripts (which is an
entirely different beast altogether).

I would vote for leaving init alone, but doing a more dependency-based startup
procedure, kind of like *ahem* gentoo.

When its all said and done, however this is accomplished, I would really like
to see services start up in parallel. It would really help our boot-up time.
Even Windows does this... why not Fedora?