Modular X installation results

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 03:01:33 UTC 2005

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> The upgrade to modular X went pretty well for me except for the fact
> that I had to install the package "xorg-x11-xauth" manually because the
> yum update apparently didn't pick that up.

Hmm, that's odd.  Both monolithic and modular X have an xorg-x11-xauth
package, so it should have gotten updated.

Current xauth is: xorg-x11-xauth-0.99.2-1

Does yum honour rpm Epoch tags properly I wonder?  If yum ignores the
epoch on the package, then it would consider the new 0.99.2 version
to be lower than the old version of 6.8.2.

$ rpm -qp --qf '%{name}-%{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}\n' \
                xorg-x11-xauth-0.99.2-1.src.rpm
xorg-x11-xauth-1:0.99.2-1

The epoch is showing up in query, so I'd suspect a possible yum bug
perhaps.

> What I immediately after reboot though was how slow my desktop has
> become. Moving around a window on the desktop is now very jerky. Before
> I saw the usual gtk refresh artifacts but the movement of the window
> itself was smooth. I have DRI disabled because I don't care about 3D and
> here is the device config I'm running right now:

Please report any driver performance or stability problems to X.Org
bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org in the "xorg" component.  Be
sure to use bugzilla file attachment feature to attach your complete
X server log and config file as individual file attachments, then
mark the bug as blocking bug #1690, to ensure it gets looked at for
X11R7.

Hope this helps.