init: API

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 03:55:36 UTC 2005

On 11/19/05, Gilboa Davara <gilboada at netvision.net.il> wrote

> Which means: as complex as the schema; and if you decide to create a
> single catch-all schema for all services, you'll end-up with huge
> complex XML files that makes it almost impossible to recover a dead
> machine using a single text editor. (vim/pico/etc)

No, a single catch all schema would be stupid. Combine several schemas
as needed. Eg a schema can define basic system constants such as
usernames, lists of usernames, groups, permissions, access control
lists etc.

> Let me do the text version of this.
>
> #This is my version of things.
>
> # General.
> SERVICENAME=NFS_main
> SERVICEGROUP=NFS

Ok, is that encoded as UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 or what?. How do I encode a
CR or LF in the values? How are double quotes handled?  Are equal
signs escaped?

My point -- when writing parsers the devil is in the details. Config
file parsing is something that the application developer should not
concern themselves with. They should be able to rely on a standard
library to return the config file in a object/structure that the
software can consume.

Joe.