Savage DRI broken in modular X

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at freesurf.fr
Sat Nov 19 22:35:52 UTC 2005

> Whenever I fix the mesa package, and you upgrade to the new
> package, your system will probably break due to that
> symlink.  ;o)

I can't follow here. The worst thing to happen is that the symlink
might not be used anymore, once the "Mesa" library gets fixed to
look up in "/usr/lib/dri". The directory "/usr/lib/dri" is unlikely
to change some time soon, and even if it did, the orphaned link
could hardly cause any problem. Given "DRI" up and running today,
this is an acceptable trade-off and allowed furthermore to
successfully identify the bug. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

>> Finally, one might also consider a sort of "compat-xorg-x11"
>> package to accomodate the needs of older packages, which
>> might only exist in binary form, e.g. "Mathematica".
>
> Bwahahahahaha!  ;oP

It's not that ridiculous. "Mathematica" for example has "Open
Motif 2.1.30" compiled in statically. After fixing the font
problem - the new ISO 10646 fonts lead to empty buttons what I
fixed by installing the ISO 8859 fonts afterwards - I am now
facing error messages of the kind:

"Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:
osfBeginLine Warning: translation table syntax error: %s" ...

For backwards compatibility, Red Hat still provides packages
like: "compat-libstdc++-296-2.96", "compat-openldap-2.3.11"
and many others. This made me think of the possible need to
provide older applications with some legacy stuff.

>> PS: "X/OpenGL Maintainence List (xgl-maint at redhat.com)"
>>                    ^^^^
>>
>>      Ouch! Could somebody have a look at this? I am not a native
>>      speaker, but this appears to be quite exotic. This usually
>>      writes "Maintenance", doesn't it?
>
> Illiteracy runs rampant, even at Red Hat!  ;o)  Fortunately,
> it wasn't I who created this internal mailing list, so I get
> to laugh and point fingers with the rest of you at whoever it
> was.   ;oP

Maybe you could also inform your post/web master in order to fix this
stupid mistake? Thanks.