Broken video drivers in new modular X

Mon Nov 21 09:22:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 02:44 -0500, Sadda Teh wrote:
> Hi all, just writing to say that on my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop
> (latest BIOS) with ATI Mobility M4 video the modular X vesa and r128
> drivers do not work properly.

My Radeon locks the machine hard, meaning no network, no nothing, only
can press the reset/power switch. I have seen previous reports here with
the same problem, but there was talk about that AGP might be the
problem, but i have a PCIe card (01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI
Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)] ).
That card worked fine with the old Xorg before the switch to mod-X.

> When X is configured to use the vesa driver it comes up, but the
> picture is distorted (looks like 2 vertical desktops overlapping one
> another at various points, also colors are messed up).

When i use the vesa driver i see things like that too. The icons of
applications have the wrong colors (looks like R and G and B are
switched) and they are also at the wrong place (shifted 20 pixels or
so).

I am now running with the fbdev driver on top of the radeonfb this works
but is of course not optimal.

> As for trying to use the r128 driver, X cannot even load when
> configured this way, it fails with an error along the lines of the
> r128_drv.so could not be opened. Has anyone else seen issues like this
> with the new modular X packages? Should I file bugs for these in
> x.org's bugzilla? Thanks.

Well if it are really the same issues i dunno, but i sure have issues
with mod X.

- Erwin