Yum and SRPMs

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Nov 28 01:37:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 09:26 +0800, Yuan Yijun wrote:
> What if include rpm-build in yum, like apt-build, or apt-get build
> does? Maybe yum could become another emerge or pkg_add or so. :p

Danger will robinson.  Feature creep.

Yum downloads packages/updates from configured repositories, resolves
deps, and installs those packages.  Anything else is above and beyond
yum.  Other things can use yum libraries to accomplish that bit of task,
but must provide everything else.

Now, with the new libraries that Seth is cranking out, a python script
can import the yum module, do:

import yum

foo = yum.YumBase()
foo.doGenericSetup()

Then you can setup all kinds of things like

foo.install(name='bar')

and

foo.update()

and when you are done lining up these yum actions, you can

foo.runTransaction()

to run it all.  Yum will be very easy to tie into for doing your grander
than yum actions.

(thanks seth for the examples on IRC that I copied here)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: