Modern Update System

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Tue Nov 29 09:33:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:51:39AM -0500, Benjy Grogan wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think.  Having to have the initial rpm on
> your hard drive all the time would be another kind of waste.
>
> It comes down to more fundamental changes.  If the method of keeping rpms on
> your hard drive is ditched then you're left with sending pure binary patches
> to the actual files.  That's the best way, but a complete reorganization is
> then needed.
>
> Sounds like one of these long projects that requires corporate funding to
> see it through a few years work.  I think it's an important enough challenge
> to tackle that Red Hat, IBM and Novell should work together to do this.
>
> It's alot of work any way it's done.  Best to go for the best solution and
> find some backing and then hope everyone interested shows up to help out.

Guys, the deltarpm package already does all this. It doesn't need
to initial rpm on the harddisk, it can work with the installed files.
The current version even has a 'combinedeltarpm' command, so you
can collapse a chain of deltas into a single one.

Novell uses deltarpms since over a year now, mandriva-2005 has
them as well.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de