fc5 goals

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:42:53 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>At some point it will make sense to drop the cdrom images and produce
>only the dvd image. Just like it made sense to drop the i486 kernel.
>Once Dell makes dvd-read support compulsory for all its shipping
>products its probably within 2 years (3~4 Core releases) after that
>cdrom install images with be deprecated. I'll have to go out and buy a
>$10 dvd burner at that point.

    And remember that it's still a pain to download files larger than
2^31 bytes.  The only method I've found that's completely reliable is
bittorrent.

    I understand that Apache had a large file bug on 32-bit platforms
that was only fixed this year.  With curl or wget,  I can assume that
I'll lose my connection at some point and need to resume,  so I end up
not only using the regular download codepath,  but also the resume
codepath in both my client and the server.

    Practically I have pretty good luck downloading CD-sized chunks;
maybe one of those gets corrupted less than one time out of ten.

    Presumably people are going to get better clients over time,  and
perhaps the clients shipped in RHEL and FC right now handle large files
OK.  (Do they?)  There's still the matter of making sure that the
mirrors are all running good server software that doesn't screw up for
large files.