fc5 goals

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Tue Nov 29 15:49:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 10:24 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/29/05, Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> >     Hardly true.
>
> While I think he overstates the current situation by extrapolating his
> personal experience, at some point though the ubiquity of dvd drives
> will be true. I think we can hold-off on this debate until dell stops
> offering models without atleast dvd read support. Dell still offers
> dvd-less models in its home and home office value lines. On its N
> series "open source friendly" every option in the customize menu has
> atleast dvd read support... so the tipping point might be closer than
> either you or I would like.
>
> At some point it will make sense to drop the cdrom images and produce
> only the dvd image. Just like it made sense to drop the i486 kernel.
> Once Dell makes dvd-read support compulsory for all its shipping
> products its probably within 2 years (3~4 Core releases) after that
> cdrom install images with be deprecated. I'll have to go out and buy a
> $10 dvd burner at that point.

Sorry for being OT, but why do you use Dell as a Milestone?
While Dell is the biggest US desktop supplier, it hold less then 18% of
the global desktop market. In Europe and Asia, Dell is almost
non-existent.
If Dell chooses to produce low-end DVD-less machines, this their
prerogative. Fedora must not make decisions based on a single
manufacturer.

I do agree on not dropping the CD images, just yet, though...

Gilboa