Pipe dreams: yum-based anaconda a step towards on-line yum-based upgrades?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Nov 30 20:47:32 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 30 novembre 2005 à 15:38 -0500, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :
> On 11/30/05, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > Right, that's why I'm not at all suggesting "normal" yum ought to take care
> > of it. Crack-riddled hacks are why we have yum plugins, right? :)
>
> How much of that crackrock can you safely do from within an active environment?
> And how much of it can only be done from a seperate (ramdisk) environment?
> I doubt everything that needs to be done can be dome from inside the
> actual mounted environment.

However some of this stuff (managing / lvm...) needs to be done at other
points than distro upgrades, and trying to coax the install cd into a
maintenance CD is a world of pain.

Why should one need to start an installation process to have access to a
decent gfx partitioning utility ?

--
Nicolas Mailhot