OT: SCALE 4x -- Call For Papers

Mihai Maties mihai at xcyb.org
Wed Oct 5 06:13:03 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 07:16, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Sep  6, 2005, Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:
> > Sorry guys - Just trying to prove what a moron I can be when I'm on cold
> > medicine... :-)
>
> Nah, you're just another victim of the broken Reply-To setting in this
> list, that causes both replies and follow-ups to go to the list.  :-/

Not quite. As opposed to other mailing list managers Mailman _does the right
thing_ i.e. not overriding the Reply-To header that your MUA set (but adding
the list address to the header).

A quick usefull example: I am subscribed to a list, I post an urgent issue but
I want the reply to go to some other email address (that uses an SMS gateway
so I'll receive the reply on my cellphone). The fact that the SMS service I
use is not free I do not want to receive all the list traffic, but only the
part that covers my issue. If I want to do this I set the Reply-To header to
user at sms-gateway.com and wait...

It's actually a matter of choice: for the initial poster - if he wants to set
the Reply-To header or not and to you (the one who reply) - if you want to
keep his personal email address as a recipient or not. But again: Mailman
does the _right thing_.

Mihai