Bringing syslog-ng into the fold [FC6 ?]

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 19:05:56 UTC 2005

Dimi Paun wrote:

>From: "Elliot Lee" <sopwith at redhat.com>
>

>>Because syslog-ng isn't the Right Solution(tm) for the general problem of
>>event logging.
>>

>Also breaking binary compatibility for the sake of the Right Solution (TM)
>might not be the best strategy in the world.

If glibc continues to support but deprecate the older syslog API along
with the Right Solution(TM) API then there is no need to break binary
compatibility for as long as time period deemed convenient.

>This sounds to me as a case where incremental improvement is held
>back for the sake of the Perfect Solution which, on second thought,
>is not even clear that is that desirable :)

Agreed on that though. Taking Elliot's cvs analogy further, subversion
might be better than bazaar-ng atleast for now.

regards
Rahul