SATA DVD support

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Oct 18 17:55:33 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 18.10.2005, 10:27 -0700 schrieb Jesse Keating:
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 23:04 -0400, Fedora wrote:
> > What is the status of SATA DVD support (Plextor PX-716SA) in Fedora 4?
>
> The question would be more for the chipset you're going to plug it into.
> SATA mostly represents itself as a SCSI device under the 2.6 kernel
> tree, so since I seem to recall SCSI cdroms working, I can't think of
> too many reasons why a SATA CDROM device wouldn't.  Have you tried this
> device and ran into problems?  Is there something that makes you think
> it won't work?

ATAPI-SATA is not yet fully supported in the kernel so SATA-CDROMS won't
work (maybe they do if you have a BIOS that can emulate it).

There are patches around (see
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0508.3/1620.html
and read the warning there, too) that add that support but they are not
in the FC4 kernel afaics (for good reason as it seems). A up2date
version of that patch was merged some time ago into 2.6.14-rc. So the
support might show up in FC4 and probably will be in FC5. For details
see

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1623c81eece58740279b8de802fa5895221f2044