Supporting third party software in /usr/local

Mike MacCana mikem at cyber.com.au
Fri Oct 21 07:01:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 03:36 +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> >>  * Actually I'm not even sure regular $PATH includes /usr/local/bin, but
> >>    maybe that was some other distro ...
> >
> > /usr/local/bin is in my path - if a distro does not include it, it is
> > imho a bug.
>
> It's there, but it comes after /bin and /usr/bin, making it
> useless for people who install replacement versions of vendor
> packages.

Its quite useful for people who install replacements to vendors
packages. They just have to do it properly. Using the same packaging
system as everyone else.

It makes it inconvenient for people who try and install multiple copies
of the same software to different directories using different packaging
systems. These people are likely inconveniencing themselves in many
other ways.

Mike