Encouraging the use of multiple packaging systems on one systems, and the resulting problems (was: re: /usr/local)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:25:39 UTC 2005

On 10/21/05, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> a) Fedora RPMs are not a standard method. They're proprietary to Fedora
>    and a particular Fedora release at that

Can you point out to me a specific written packaging standard..for
linux...that has some measure of wide concensous support?
I found this:
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.0.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/swinstall.html
If we can't hold up the LSB, which prefers rpms, then exactly what
standard are you trying to apply?  Now, whether or not you believe the
LSB currently enjoys or should enjoy wide adoption is an open
question, outside the scope of this thread. My point is, the LSB stuff
is a high profile "standards" attempt in this community and even it
prefers rpms to a degree, so I'm not sure how you can claim Fedora is
doing something non-standard in the scope of the larger community.

Please... lets avoid over  the top  generalistic language. I'm trying
to give your concerns the benefit of the doubt but when you make this
sort of statement the strongest argument in your arsenal it becomes
difficult to continue to be open to what you are saying with regard to
how to appropriately support alternative installation mechanisms.

-jef"do your own thing is the de-facto standard"spaleta