John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Tue Oct 25 14:43:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 12:32:13PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:

> So what do I tell my helpless user?
>
> 1. Start hacking kernel acpi internals, sending patches to lkml that
> have kludges for specific laptop models.
> 2. Rebuild their kernel with the updated dsdt.
> 3. Email your laptop vendor to release a new bios for a 5 year old
> laptop. I'm pretty certain this will be ignored as it "works in
> windows".
>
> 1,2, and 3 are pretty daunting for a new user.

I've been carrying a "DSDT in initrd" patch in my FC4 test kernels for
a while now.  I've had many reports of people using it successfully.
I put-up a little page for it here:

	http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/dsdt/

I would like to see a patch like this upstream.  I'm not sure how to
convince Len Brown to let it in.

I don't think putting it in Fedora is necessarily a bad idea, but it
is not a slam dunk either (based on support concerns as pointed-out
elsewhere).

I'll continue to carry it in my test kernels if people are interested.
I don't currently have it in my FC5 kernels, but I can put it there
as well.

John
--
John W. Linville