Re: rawhide->fc5; X won't start

Ray Strode wrote:
Hi,

Ray Strode wrote:
Hi,
OK, so no one else sees this.

Any suggestions as to how to diagnose this? Any way to get more verbose or clearer error messages?
If you run fc-cache -f from your user account does your problem go away?

--Ray

Thanks for the suggestion, but...(:

Here's the console message from trying kde.

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
xset:  bad font path element (#76), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2482' to 'kded'
startkde: Shutting down...
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1

What if you manually add some font paths to your Xorg.conf
Try adding some of the ones in /usr/share/X11/fonts/
and /usr/share/fonts

--Ray

Great idea, but no joy.

Same result.

I changed xorg.conf to:

Section "Files"

#
#	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled" FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled" FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
EndSection

And, FWIW,
find /usr/share/X11/fonts -name fonts.dir
/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir
/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir
/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/fonts.dir
/usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF/fonts.dir
/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.dir

Xorg.0.log shows no errors.

This is really frustrating. I no longer believe this a font issue. But I can't figure out how to get some log and error messages that show what's happening.

sean