'Commercial Partners'

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Apr 1 08:46:51 UTC 2006

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> wants the desktop and what it's prepared to do to get it.  It ties
> into a larger issue about what the Linux community needs to do to
> thrive under competitive pressure, which *is* a question for Fedora.

What does "competitive pressure" mean in the context of a Free OS?

>> I don't see a single reason to accept your dramatic characterizations as
>> accurate.
>
> Well, I've been right about this sort of thing before, and I've
> continued to pay attention.  You're living in an industry
> significantly shaped by the fact that I got some key market analysis
> right and then addressed the implied problem, and a lot of VCs and
> CEOs and investment bankers listen *very* respectfully when I talk.
>
> This doesn't make me infallible, of course, but it does mean betting
> that I'm wrong this time is not something to do casually.

Well good for you, but it doesn't get you a free ride on your dramatic
characterizations of "Death of Linux Unless Y'all Do As I Say".  If you
spoke of anything to explain the reasoning behind the proposition of
Linux dying unless it gets on a large number of desktops quickly on this
thread, I missed it.

  - Why shouldn't a dramatic growth of Linux on the Desktop have the
opposite effect of triggering an apocalypse of attacks from MSFT on
their various desktop-related patents?

  - Why will market share defend against that when it didn't help RIM
one bit, in fact made matters worse come the damages?

  - Why is the current frog-boiling method while Linux and the Free apps
improve and establish themselves deeper and deeper not good enough?

  - In your theory, is Linux in the embedded space going to die too
because MSFT continue to have ~90% of desktops?

-Andy