The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sat Apr 1 02:18:02 UTC 2006

Shane Stixrud <shane at geeklords.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Bill Crawford wrote:

[...]

> > Ah. The "it must all be integrated" straw man. (sigh)

> There is no straw man, real advantages and features become available
> when configuration data is unified.

If you mean "single format", I might agree (but that is /much/ harder than
it looks, the needs range from a handful of variables to complex structured
"programs" in specialized languages). If you also mean "single repository",
you are way off the deep end (Hint: Single point of failure, no way to
handle alternative configurations, no way to chroot the config, ...)