Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Le dimanche 02 avril 2006 à 01:37 -0800, Shane Stixrud a écrit :
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 04:44 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
> >>  Good: Exim; dhcp; xinetd (as opposed to original inetd although the basic
> >> ideas are similar, the directory structure allowing split files is a big
> >> improvement over the single .conf file).
> > Apache, squid, Xorg, gdm.
>
> Interesting.  Tell me what is the best way to enable XDMCP in gdm via a
> configuration script?  I'll give ya a hint Enable=false is often defined
> in multiple places within gdm.conf and the line numbers for these
> statements have and will change.
>
> Configuration files that require either a) manual editing or b) complex
> error prone scripting are _NOT_ "Good".

But why is the gdm conf file such crap ? Is this because gdm writers had
not lots of advanced configuration file libs at their disposition ?

No

It's because they consider :
1. the conf file is none of the user business
2. as a result little thought went in key naming
3. and even worse the keys themselves are not stable from release to
release

How is elektra going to help with this ?

--
Nicolas Mailhot