Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Apr 3 06:25:14 UTC 2006

On Apr 3, 2006, at 2:17 AM, Shane Stixrud wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
>> It seems that Elektra simply wants to remap the configuration file
>> for a piece "software" into a hierarchical key/value database and
>> I think that's missing the point entirely. First of all you got to
>> ask yourself whether there should be a configuration of said piece
>> of software in the first place. If you think really hard about it
>> you will find that for most pieces of software this is false - you
>> really don't want any configuration files... Hence you really
>> don't want nor need Elektra.
>
> Software without configuration options what a novel idea... In all
> seriousness that day will come long after the paperless bathroom....

My point was that you don't want _configuration files_, of course you
need configuration for some, even most, pieces of software. Another
point was that this configuration should be read from either the
desktop session _or_ some remote LDAP server. Maybe if you read my
whole mail before replying this would have been clear.

     David