Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Apr 4 16:11:14 UTC 2006

Le Mar 4 avril 2006 17:20, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> But if you see how people receive then most
> people like it. Sure, we have some work left (running NM, g-p-m, g-v-m
> when no one is logged in). Sure, some oldskool hackers like Pete
> Zaitchev [1] complain about it in a sorta condescending way, but if you
> read the reviews of FC3, FC4, FC5 you will see that we're going in the
> right direction.
>
> Yes, so maybe right now the desktop bits are not always suitable for
> l33t kernel hackers like Pete with very, suffice to say, unusual
> requirements

They're not unusal requirements.
What you've done is what's called a regression, like most regressions it's
caused by adding new features users are already thanking you for, and
people whose setups you broke have not all noticed it yet and are just
starting to curse.

> but down the road we will fill those gaps too. It's just
> about prioritizing. I expect the same to be true if someone tries to
> revamp all the server bits.

Would it have been so hard to include a server component from the start
when people gave you early warnings instead of bolting it in as an
afterthought ?

--
Nicolas Mailhot