Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Apr 4 16:25:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 18:11 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> They're not unusal requirements.
> What you've done is what's called a regression, like most regressions it's
> caused by adding new features users are already thanking you for, and
> people whose setups you broke have not all noticed it yet and are just
> starting to curse.

Changing things are painful, I and others realize that, sure. Again,
it's about trade offs and prioritization. You can't please 100% of the
user base 100% of the time.

> Would it have been so hard to include a server component from the start
> when people gave you early warnings instead of bolting it in as an
> afterthought ?

Uhm, no one is forcing you to use NetworkManager just yet so there is
not really any regression. Btw, the price we pay to support two
networking configuration stacks is higher than you think.

     David