Installation Wizard in Yumex

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Mon Apr 10 13:14:22 UTC 2006

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 14:35 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I just stumbled over easyUbuntu [1] and got a idea to add some kind of
>> installation Wizard in yumex, to make it easy to add all the
>> extra stuff need to get your fedora running.
>>
>>    * Nvidia drivers.
>>    * ATI Drivers
>>    * NTFS support.
>>    * MP3 support.
>>    * Movie player with codecs. (Mplayer, gstreamer etc).
>>    * Java
>>    * Flash
>>
>> I want to make some kind of XML format to creating the Wizard entries
>> and the actions behind. The different people can make there own wizards
>> and people can just drag and drop an URL to a  wizard XML into yumex to
>> add the wizard entries to the installation wizard. This could be a way
>> to close the gap between a FOSS distribution and the non free or patent
>> related stuff, there never can be included in Fedora.
>> Let me now what you think, is it a totally lame idea or is it a way to go.
>>

> It's a nice idea, but...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_infringement#Active_inducement_of_infringement

I just want to code a easy way to install things, not try to break any
patent, i will not include anything illegal into yumex, but people
located i place where software patents don't exist, can make a wizard
plugin to install the stuff hosted in places like livna or freshrpms.
I same way as yum and rpm can be used to installed patent releated
stuff, but it is not the purpose of the application.

Tim