question on kickstart globs/everything

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 23:18:33 UTC 2006

Even though today's messages started out with "@everything has been argued to
death in the archives", it seems like the time for comments is still open-

I have been a heavy user of (@)everything, (@)minimal, and kickstart for many
years.  Before throwing my opinions in the ring, I have one simple question-

Is the globs(*) for package selection in kickstart documented anywhere (yet)?
My question is, is that going to be as sufficiently smart as the
old/current-but-deprecated @everything, as far as silently dropping those
packages that have exclusional anti-dependencies? (picking the 'preferred
default')

Even if so (which I could just check by doing an install), I would throw in my
opinion as being precisely one of those users that would like to do a
non-kickstart everything install, just to have all the available core (on
media) packages installed, including a hundred languages I would never use.
Because yes, disk space is cheap.  Not because I was worried about
dependencies.  I.e. I was using what the rh/fedora core decision makers decided
to decide what I wanted to install.  Nothing new here, but FYI, another person
like that exists and appreciated the ability to do that (even in the
non-kickstart case).  It was always fun to do an everything install, and then
just sit down in front of a fully populated gnome/redhat main menu and start
trying all the new toys, whose package names would never have even clued me in
as to what they do.

Now, on to @minimal (dunno if that still exists).  I used to generate livecd's
from mandrake back when their @minimal yielded ~300MB.  I was building
appliance livecd's that even stripped some more files, getting it compressed
down to 135M (fits on a 3" cdr, with X+windowmaker+mozilla+xmms).  So @minimal
was very useful for me, and as I'm now trying to do the same sorts of things
with fedora, I would hope it still exists, though have been psyching up for
having to more or less do lots of manual deinstallations as I figure out what
packages aren't _really_ necessary (which I had to do anyway with the mandrake
@minimal, to _really_ shave the install size down).  Of course, now my target
is looking more like a 3" 1.8G dvd, but still...  I liked @minimal.  a lot.  I
hope it lives.

-jdog