Intel iMac booting FC5

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 13 07:58:31 UTC 2006

Anybody else playing with a new Intel Mac trying to get Fedora Core working on
it? I'm happy to report that I've got my wife's 20" iMac booting under its
own power as of a few minutes ago.

Still looking into what it takes to get X working -- it works fine in the
installer if you've got the latest firmware, since syslinux uses the bios
emulation layer, which provides some basic vga support that allows you to use
the vesa driver for install, but I'm trying to stick to pure efi.

At the moment, I'm using elilo to load my initrd and kernel, which are from a
custom kernel build, because the stock i686 kernels have no efi goodies
enabled. In theory, enabling the necessary bits and adding patches to the
latest FC kernel should work, but going that route, the HD wasn't getting
picked up, so I still need to figure out exactly why that is, comparing the
kernel config from mactel-linux.org to the one I hacked together based on the
2080 FC kernel (both had EFI stuff flipped on and the iMac patch added).

I'll bend a few ears in IRC tomorrow too...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com