Where is my "everything" gone?

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Fri Apr 14 14:40:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 02:22:16PM -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 18:50 +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > >
> > > Kickstart is specifically dessigned to handle these cases. You can script
> > > the entire install and do the install "hands-off"
> >
> > I remember looking at kickstart a long time ago, and it sucked
> > horribly when you didn't want to script the _entire_ install.
> > Hopefully, it is better now.
>
> Kickstart has for the longest time prompted you for information not
> contained with in the ks.cfg.  Please define when you looked and what
> you tried more clearly so we can assist you.  Statements like "it
> sucked" really aren't useful for pointing out potential solutions using
> kickstart.

"long time ago" means in this case around redhat 7 or so.

I'm looking at system-config-kickstart, and unless I misunderstand the
(required) tags, you can't get a prompt for what I need to have
install-time locally configurable.  Specifically:
- keyboard type (50% fr, 50% us here)
- root password
- partitioning

With fc3 I had savagely hacked anaconda/loader2 to only ask these and
the network configuration.  Very useful, it allowed me to give the
install CD to pretty much anybody and they ended up with a working
system[1].  Anyway, I'll try removing the entries from the ks.cfg and
see how it goes.

  OG.

[1] Yes, they *are* smart enough to partition correctly :-)