Caring about users

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 00:57:04 UTC 2006

On 4/18/06, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 19:36 +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > > If someone wants to sit there and bitch about things and expect someone else
> > > to go fix them all the time, they can kindly move the fuck on.  Now, if they
> > > want to actually contribute, that is the attitude we want.  And that is a great
> > > attitude for the future of Fedora.
> >
> > I'd be happy to patch anaconda to have "everything" again.  I'm
> > probably going to in practice.  I will submit the patch if you want,
> > but I know it will be rejected, so what's the point?
>
> So the question is: could you, instead of patching it for this, help
> devise a better way that we could use in the future?  We need to handle
> multiple repositories, repositories with overlapping package names,
> etc., and "just install it all" doesn't make *any* sense.

Here are some issues I've had with the new update system that I'm sure
others have had, and possibly are already being worked on.  I just
thought I'd mention them to help improve the system, which overall is
a big improvement over the old one.

1)  in Pirut.. the Add/Remove software function... shouldn't there be
support for determining which repository the packages are coming from?
 at the moment the only way to figure out which repository holds the
package that I've just searched for is to manually disable the yum
repositories, and then go back into Pirut.  Ex: When installing wine,
I wanted to know which repository it was coming from but I couldn't.
As well, [updates-testing] brings up duplicate results to [core]
occasionally, or so I'm figuring since I see two identical packages
here and there in my Pirut searches.

2) It would be great to be able to turn on and off repositories from
within Pirut.

3)  Pirut doesn't differentiate between Installing and Updating
Software.  It says "Updating Software" when in fact it's installing
wine.

4) Once new software is installed, it would be great if there was a
highlight of some sort so that you could find the software in the
Gnome menus.  Windows has such functionality.  I often have to go
through the menus searching for what I just installed, and it can get
annoying, especially when it's the Deskbar applet and it's not there
at all. :)

Benjy