Re: FC5 rocks!

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
Hey I have an idea... lets build an input device which includes a
button that depresses AND scrolls... and do so in a way that makes it
difficult for users to use the button press functionality.. so they
then complain when software developers attempt to utilize that action
in a useful way. If i was a conspiracy theorist I'd claim your
hardware manufacturer was deliberately trying to cripple the
functionality of the middle-click button. Oh wait I am a conspiracy
theorist and they are deliberately trying to cripple the functionality
of the middle-click button.  Explain the me the point of including the
middle-click functionality in an input device and making it
delibrately difficult to use. Sounds like pathetically poor hardware
design to me.

Ouch!! I must have forgotten a smilie somewhere. Well it's a Logitech, like most mouse these days. I swear it's tough to bring up a popup menu with the pressable mouse-wheel, you always end up scrolling things by accident. But the most difficult is the dynamic window resize (Alt + middle-button), a key feature for me. Doing this with the mouse-wheel is particularly akward. I just which i could change this with gconf, but i can't. I used to maintain a metacity patch, but you eventually tire of this.

-denis