[NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Apr 25 17:33:07 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 07:19am, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 00:50 +0100, Leon wrote:
> > I think you didn't get the idea right.
> >
> > Basically they want to divide packages (of course installed by package
> > manager; those installed using source, the user has to track
> > themselves) into two groups: one is installed by the user (explicitly
> > 'yum install') and the other is those required to satisfy the
> > dependence.
> >
> > Ubuntu put this *high* priority for the next release after
> > dapper. After reading its wiki page, it make sense to me. And I
> > believe it will be useful.
>
> I want the mathml-fonts fonts installed.
> I know that "yum install abiword" which I also want will grab them as a
> dependency.
>
> But suppose I decide that I'm not using AbiWord anymore because I'm
> doing everything in LaTeX. So I remove AbiWord.
>
> mathml-fonts I still want though - but it was installed as a dependency
> to abiword, which I have since removed.
>
> Does that mean mathml-fonts will get automatically removed out from
> under me?

That's why I never never run "yum -y remove splat" ("yum -y install splat" for
that matter).

In such a situation, it would be very nice to be able to selectively "uncheck"
packages from the dependency list that were automatically selected for
removal, too.  But that's probably best handled by the GUI if you want it to
be interactive.  On the command line (i.e., just the yum command), I would
say "n" to removing the packages, yum exits, I press the Up Arrow key and
edit the line to read "yum --exclude=mathml-fonts remove splat".

Then again, I don't believe that any application package should "depend" on
font packages, in general.  However, it the automatic removal selection
mechanism is added to yum, it should be possible to mark "soft" dependencies
in an RPM (like an Include: directive, for example) that says, "Hey, it's
good to also include that package when you install this one."

Of course, I just opened a very XL can-o-worms there, didn't I?

Just to be clear, though, I'm for the idea of automatic dependency resolution
for removal.  If nothing else depends on a package once those items that did
are removed, why keep the clutter around?  I know disk space is _really_
cheap, but I still like to keep my systems tidy.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor