[NEW IDEA] Automatic removal of dependencies

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Apr 27 06:07:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 14:05 +0930, n0dalus wrote:
> The problem is that there's not a good way yet of giving packages
> 'Suggests'/'Enhances' tags. At the moment all we provide are packages
> with either 'Requires' or nothing. The idea would be that the package
> manager would ask the user which suggests/enhances to install (with
> suggests selected by default).

Which is something Debian packages support. Meh, I've always figured RPM
systems seem to get along okay without it, and most of all on my Debian
systems I never find myself actually using or caring about Suggests /
Recommends anyway, but I guess it's not a horrible idea. What would be
nice if we're going to do it is a human friendly short %description as
to what exactly each optional dependency enhances or adds.

And while we're swiping stuff from Debian, how about something like
debconf...