Feedback on Java applet functionality?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Aug 11 02:13:53 UTC 2006

Once upon a time, Rahul <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> said:
> I was expecting to some comments on whether this feature works well in
> Fedora Core 6 test 2 and the current development tree. Anyone tried it
> out with the applets in the wild?

I just tried the NWS (weather.gov) local radar animation applet.  When I
clicked "Trust Applet", firefox froze.  Checking the log, I got an
SELinux denied message for gappletviewer:

audit(1155260238.314:4): avc:  denied  { execmem } for  pid=3260 comm="gappletviewer" scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tcontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tclass=process

I started with FC6t2 and also tried after updating to the latest
rawhide.

I turned off the execmem check (setsebool allow_execmem=1).  With that,
the applet loads and eventually runs, but it doesn't display the radar
images (and it uses a lot of RAM - 464m VIRT and 375m RES according to
top).

I'm checking my local radar loop at:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=HTX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

--