some closure on the xorg updates issue

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Aug 11 15:26:39 UTC 2006

Rahul <sundaram <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> I have linked several discussions about regressions in updates so do
> verify your claims against bugzilla reports and list discussions.

None of these have anything to do with the KDE 3.5.0 upgrade to FC4.
The first link is an issue which is claimed to be new in FC5, which if true
would make it a regression from release to release, not in an update. The KDE
menu (aka. "no control center") problem was due to a change in a
Fedora-specific patch in the FC5 (FC4 too?) update, not the (minor) version
update. The "no audiocd" etc. issues were due to a one-time build-system
change. Any rebuild, even a security fix with a backported patch, would have
exposed that. The only issue I can see in that list which was due to a (minor!)
KDE version update is the "no automount" problem, due to a Fedora-specific
patch (the HAL/DBUS patch) having needed an update for the new KDE. And then
there's the kernel issue, but I think (and hope!) nobody is seriously
considering not keeping the kernel up to date anymore.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a Fedora developer, if in doubt, believe Than Ngo, not
me. :-) )

        Kevin Kofler