some closure on the xorg updates issue

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Fri Aug 11 16:22:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> IMHO, this sets a really bad precedent. Do we really want Fedora to
> become the next Debian Stable? Many users on the list have indicated
> they are running Fedora precisely because they want current software,
> not obsolete crap which happens to cooperate well with proprietary
> software, which as you say is not even supported. I must say I'm one of
> these people. For those who don't want version upgrades, there are
> plenty of other distros available (e.g. that U word everyone gets
> spammed with these days ;-) but there are others too).

A couple of responses (that echo some of the points made elsewhere in the
thread):

+ I'm not interested in doing precedent setting with this.  The Board made
the call that we ultimately felt was best in *this instance* -- we weren't
making the decision for all future cases as well.

+ fc6test2 already has the updated code.  fc6-gold will clearly have it
also.  So I don't think we're all of a sudden a non-innovative
distribution.

+ We're also not saying that there will never be another xorg update for
fc5.  We're just not doing one *right now*.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack