Wishlist: remote install GUI

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 11:47:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 17:50 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On 8/30/06, Steven Pritchard <steve at silug.org> wrote:
> > > A thought came up on IRC earlier that I thought I should record
> > > somewhere:
> > >
> > >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StevenPritchard/InstallConsole
> > >
> > > To summarize, back in the late 90s when I was an HP-UX admin, I
> > > thought that one of the nicer tools HP made was something called
> > > Ignite-UX.  It was a GUI that could be used to remotely start an
> > > install of HP-UX.  On several occasions, I used to it completely
> > > reinstall dozens of HP-UX workstations all at once.
> > >
> > > I think something similar for Fedora would be Really Cool, and I'm
> > > convinced it would be fairly easy to implement by someone who knew
> > > anaconda much, much better than I do.  :-)
> >
> > VNC won't do?
> >
> is there a doc up on how to remtoe install via vnc? I would like to
> give this a try on my test machine come FC6

As Mike also realized, VNC isn't exactly the same thing, in that you
can't *initiate* the install remotely.  But if you have a boot CD/DVD,
like Jesse said, you can do the install mostly as a remote operation.
The Installation Guide has had this information for some time; see
Appendix A:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/sn-remoteaccess-installation.html

That's for FC5, but the information won't change much, if at all, for
FC6.