My favorite pet bug (2004): Yum mishandles Ctrl-C

nodata fedora at nodata.co.uk
Thu Aug 31 14:54:58 UTC 2006

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 04:48:36PM +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> To you, perhaps. However, this sort of thing is fairly traditional
> behavior
> in many unix programs -- stop what you're doing without killing the
> program.
>
> Try this: run "bc", and type:
>
>   while (1) print "looping\n"
>
> and hit enter. Then, hit ctrl-c.

But bc is an interactive calculator thing, just like running python gives
you an interactive python shell. ^C for bc wouldn't make a lot of sense.

yum is a system admin tool that you use to update your box, it's in the
same category as top, find, ps, rpm, etc.

All of those exit cleanly when you type ^C.