CPU Frequency Scaling

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Mon Dec 4 18:56:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, December 4, 2006 11:41 am, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Moreover, with the policy daemons reading settings from gconf, who
> knows, maybe the system administrator can just tweak a few settings in
> the Fedora Directory Server and the changes gets propagated out to his
> servers. I really think that's the user experience we want; not some set
> of human-editable configuration files in /etc.

I'm not sure why LDAP is seen as a better alternative to /etc.
Every time I've tried using LDAP, it's been a horrific experience:
it's complex, complicated, and obscure. Why would we want _that_
to be the user experience?

Now, I'm all for centralized management, ease of use, etc. But LDAP
is just a mechanism to achieve that, and it's not at all clear that's
the best one for the job, and it's certainly not the only one.

There's not such a great incomaptibility between having easily
modifiable files in /etc and a good user experience. Why do they
have to be mutually exclusive?

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.