ideal config management framework [was: CPU Frequency Scaling]

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Wed Dec 6 13:42:16 UTC 2006

Davide Bolcioni wrote:

> Personally, a scheme where (a) if the registry or policy daemon is not
> operational it is supplemented by the configuration in /etc, and (b)
> said configuration *overrides* unconditionally whatever the registry or
> policy daemon spits out, would offer the right mix of safety and
> functionality to give it a try on a non-production host, which seems the
> sweet spot for Fedora. The scheme might get fancy and differentiate
> between /etc/foo.conf which overrides unconditionally and
> /etc/fallback/foo.conf which is read if the registry or policy daemon is
> not available (and possibly overridden shortly thereafter).

If we must have a globally-universal configuration scheme, I'd prefer a
libconfu (or such) library that can be used to reliably read, write and
modify text based configuration files, keeping comments etc. within the
files. Hand-configurations would be easy and well-supported and
Apps/daemons could use the reading capabilities of the lib to read their
config options. If somebody chose to create a frontend for app FOO, the
read/write/modify capabilities of the lib could used to effectively and
reliably implement that.

/Thomas