Package dependency analysis

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 04:56:20 UTC 2006

On 12/6/06, David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com> wrote:
>      * given a set of packages/groups I, and its closure C, why is
>        package X in C ? This might actually benefit from showing the
>        full dependency path from the initial packages to the resolved
>        set, though just highlighting the member(s) of I that cause X to
>        end up in C might be enough

I think you want a representation of the connectedness of all the
members leading to X.  You don't want to waste time hunting down how
to remove a member M from the set C in an effort to prevent X from
getting pulled into C, if that member M needed by a lot more than X.

>      * given the sets I and C and a specific package X in I, which
>        packages in C are pulled in by X ? Which ones are pulled in just
>        by X and which ones by X and other packages in I ?

Again measures of the the associate subtrees around a vertex would be
useful.  Don't need a visual graph for that, just an associated weight
on the member indicating the size, interconnectedness of its sub-tree.

-jef"Still looking for a way to justify that semester studying Graph
Theory in Budapest.. did i say study.. i meant drinking
heavily."spaleta