Call for help with packagaging games for fedora-extras

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 12:51:13 UTC 2006

2006/12/13, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>:
> On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 11:49 +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> > 2006/12/13, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>:
>

> > > Or to put it differently: I guess you (Rudolf) are aware how your
> > > request sounds to active packagers?
> >
> > already answered. i guess you know how that sounds to someone doing
> > lots of upstream work.
> Well, then I once again can't avoid being very direct: You are looking
> for packaging-monkeys to package up and clean up your "semi-functional"
> pieces.
>
> Though taking such role might be interesting to some people, it isn't
> for me - and you (!), otherwise you've already done it.

if i had frequently time to maintain it sure i would have done it.  if
its not interesting for you i guess you should probably just ignore my
call for help because then you are obviously not a member of the
intended audience.

> Also, why would you walking your "semi-functional" packages through a
> formal review, be a waste of time? It isn't, it is a formalized way to
> bring this "semi-functional" specs into shape - it's a kind of
> development process -

i believe in collaborative development. well i can for sure submit the
specs for review but then youd throw the "its not a dump" argument
against me, because of the lack of time to maintain the stuff in the
end. i am currently busy with doing software qa and fixing stuff
upstream to make things packageable at all. software qa is not part of
the review process as per definition so it probably should be done
before submission and before throwing the software at end users.

If other people want to do the upstream work i have time for packaging
but then i cant garantue that i have inet and time within a certain
time period to update the packages e.g. incase of a security problem
etc... thats why i offered co maintainership and help for anyone that
is interested in taking those packages into fe. (somehow i get the
feeling i already mentioned that in a previous email to the list)

 In the end, all ends, Fedora, you (nrpms) and
> upstream would profit from it - The only difference to you would be
> having to collaborate with others.

i am not doing nrpms (nrpms is not newrpms) and i dont have time
anymore to maintain a repo with all the qa i personally think is
necassery to drive it. and collaboration is the reason i wrote this
mail to the list at all in the hope to get constructive feedback or
help people interested.

Collecting the specs would especially enable people to do
collaborative work and prevent wheel reinvention which would result in
less time and effort for the individual maintainer of the package.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl