ESR "fedora-submit"

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Dec 25 01:30:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:54:49 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 15:29 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>
> > >From <3F78168A.4050508 at togami.com>, September 2003:
>
> Three years ago? I suspect circumstances have changed a bit since then.
>
> For those of us who only joined the project in the last year or so,
> could you please point us to the original thread? WTF is this all

In order to understand what ESR refers to you need to be familiar with the
roots of Fedora Extras at fedora.us. Not only did we use a bugzilla based
package review process, we also used the same bugzilla for reviews of
updated src.rpms and for build requests. All that because of limited
infrastructure and the requirement for new contributors to earn trust.
Only approved packages were accepted, built and published. Trusted
packagers didn't need to wait for reviews, but they still needed to upload
their src.rpms to some place and submit build requests in bugzilla. No CVS
for packages. No upload mechanism. No build servers. While the extra
amount of reviewing increased the quality for a variety of packages and
their updates and helped a lot in creating packaging guidelines, overall
it didn't scale. Too many new packages in the queue, too few reviewers.