Move Evolution to Extras?

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 19:11:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 19:20 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> ons, 27 12 2006 kl. 09:09 -0800, skrev Sean Bruno:
>

> > Isn't Evolution sort of, kind of, maintained by our fair friends over at
> > Novell/Suse ?  Does that have anything to do with this "Death to Evo"
> > thread?
> >
> > The only over riding reason to _still_ use Evolution is to interface
> > directly to a MS Exchange server.
> >
> > I happen to use it out of habit, not because it's better/worse.  I
> > perceive the mail filtering rules to be easier to configure and more
> > robust than Thunderbird, but that may be _MY_ perception.
>
> As much as I absolutely loath Evolution I tend to agree, the filtering
> and the way it displays threads seem much more natural than any other
> mailer I've tried. That doesn't stop the massive amount of unrelated
> suckage though, like the infamous #217567 wherein Evolution entirely
> refuses to send mail for no apparent reason or the many other quirks.
>
> Evolution currently is the best of a lot of bad choices, it would be
> nice if somewhere down the line we could find a replacement, especially
> one that didn't come bundled with all this groupware functionality all
> in one app. A simple mailer which can inter-operate with something like
> Contacts and Dates to make a nicely separated PIM suite which shares
> information would be ideal in my mind. Anything else seems to be begging
> for disaster to me, complexity breeds the kind of madness Evolution has
> become.
>
> - David Nielsen

Evo has it's problems, but currently it's indispensable.  I don't agree
that complexity necessarily has to involve madness; there are programs
more complex than Evo that work just fine.  The issue is simply just
getting competent help to fix it.  This thing of just dumping it and
going to something else was lazy and shortsighted.

It's easier to protect your existing user base than it is to alienate
and amputate them, then try to get them back.

LX