Xawtv: some questions

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Thu Dec 28 17:27:23 UTC 2006

Since FC-2, "xawtv" package was replaced by "tvtime".

Whereas it gives some improvements in GUI, there is a regression too --
an absence of some useful command-line tools and console radio.

I'm still using "radio" (console/cmdline radio application) and "v4lctl"
(for example, to set the TV channel when an application is not capable
for this).
Anyway, such tools could be useful for scripting and network streaming
(i.e. start to record radio from the crond, etc.)

Project page is http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/

I'm thinking about xawtv for Extras, but there are a couple of questions:

1) What reasons have led to decision-making on change of TV viewer? Are
there some technical or legal issues?

2)  Xawtv includes code for "avi" file format, for "mjpeg" and for
"quicktime" (by an external library). Are this things allowed, or we
must strip the tarball properly (on the same manner as "xine-lib" is
done now)?

3)  Is it applicable to provide the needed tools only, without TV viewer
at all?

4)  Should the package be splitted to subpackages (as some distros use
it) or one big package is better (Fedora way)?

5)  What about "tv-fonts", accompanied with xawtv? Whether it is
required or not? How it should be named ("xawtv-tv-fonts" or just
"tv-fonts")?

Note, that one of the problem for the "radio" was unicode console
support, which I've added recently. :)

Regards,
Dmitry Butskoy,
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy