Replace mozilla with SeaMonkey?

Kai Engert kengert at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 20:38:53 UTC 2006

Yes, I already worked in my spare time on producing SeaMonkey RPM packages.
I selected a combination of patches from the set currently used in
Firefox, Thunderbird and Mozilla RPM packages.
I made it so that Mozilla and SeaMonkey can be installed at the same time.

I would like to wait with publishing the package until Chris had a
chance to review spec file and patches.
I'll post to the list once we're done.
Also note, this will be my first package for Extras, so it might take me
a bit longer to get it included there.

For FC 5, we think Mozilla 1.7.x should still be included.
That seems reasonable as other packages might depend on Mozilla (?), and
the GRE it provides (see /etc/gre.conf). I don't know whether SeaMonkey
1.0 can be used as a compatible drop-in replacement for that. It's
probably not a good idea to remove Mozilla that late in the FC 5 release
process.

After FC 5, we might either remove Mozilla 1.7.x from Core, or move it
over to Extras. But if Extras contains SeaMonkey, there might no longer
be a need to provide Mozilla 1.7.x, too.

Kai