Proposed and major updates policy

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 16:27:37 UTC 2006

> Hi
>
> Currently the usage of updates-testing repository for proposed updates
> to a release is entirely based on the package maintainer and in many
> cases seems to be arbitrary for the end users.  Can we have a policy to
> ensure to that all the updates have a week or so of testing period in
> the updates-testing repository with the exception of security updates
> which go through a shorter duration of testing?. It might also be better
> to have some consistency in between providing updates for major
> revisions of packages. KDE got a major update while GNOME and Firefox
> didnt in Fedora Core 4 as an example of current status.
>
> While the current amount of feedback that we receive from end users on
> the packages in updates-testing repository is low to non existent, it
> would be better to encourage usage of that and provide interested
> testers a chance to send in feedback rather than releasing it
> immediately to the updates repository leading to potential regressions
> more rapidly.

I second that.
The lack of FC package update policy is a real pain in the back side.
The KDE 3.5.x release backlash was just an example of why such a policy
must be set.

Might I further suggest that a message will be sent to
fedora-testing/fedora-users once a package enters update-testing?
At least in my case, when I see such a message in fedora-testers
(usually kernel/udev/openoffice) I do my best to test it and report
back. I assume that posting this info in fedora-users will encourage
others to do the same.

Gilboa