Proposed and major updates policy

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Feb 5 16:49:48 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 05.02.2006, 21:51 +0530 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
> >>I don't have the stats, but I would guess that if they were
> >>separate lists, less people would be on the announce list than
> >>on the test list, and there's already a deficit of people using
> >>updates-testing.  To increase that, announcements should hit
> >>as many people as possible.  Perhaps posting them to redhat-list,
> >>and fedora-list too. ;)   Ok, maybe that's too much..  :)
> >Well, the reason I'm not subscribed to fedora-test-list is that there is way
> >too much going on there leading up to test1 and going through until release
> >for each release.  If fedora-updates-testing-list & fedora-test-list (for
> >testX releases) were separate, that might help get more people on boeard for
> >update testing.
>
> It's pretty easy to set up filters to check for announcements based on
> the subject or the sender.

This is far from perfect solution. Easy example:
- you filter for "Fedora Core . Test Update", all other mail is routed
to /dev/null from fedora-test-list
- "Fedora Core 4 Test Update: udev-071-0.FC4.2" is posted and you get it
- someone else does it wrong and posts a mail with the subject "Problems
with udev from updates testing" (people will do that, that's life) -- a
lengthy thread might result from it and you'll miss it because
only /dev/null can read it.

Okay, you can try also to filter for "updates testing" and "FC4", but
you will still miss some relevant discussions. :-|

IMHO a separate mailinglist for updates-testing would be a good idea --
I would subscribe.

BTW, I really like the idea that started this thread (the "Can we have a
policy to ensure to that all the updates have a week or so of testing
period in the updates-testing repository with the exception of security
updates which go through a shorter duration of testing?." idea)

CU
thl