Fedora Core 5 Test 3 Slip

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Sun Feb 5 22:03:38 UTC 2006

Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I think our 6 month cycle plan remains, but will likely vary depending
> on various factors.  I'd like to see it be a 9 month cycle that can
> vary earlier or later though, but that's just my personal opinion.  I
> dunno who else would agree with me on that. ;)

Perhaps this is just my own experience and impressions, but through the
RHL releases and even as recently as the first couple of FC releases, I
was always eagerly awaiting each new release because of various great
improvements that made the system more generally usable.  As tired as I
would get of constantly rebuilding my machine, I would install most of
the test releases just because I wanted those features that badly.  With
FC 3 & 4, my "appetite" for new releases has slowed down significantly,
and the only reason I look for betas nowadays is usually support for
newer hardware.  In fact, the only two things I'm eager for in FC5 are a
working suspend on my thinkpad, and evolution syncing on my Treo
(neither of which looks is looking too promising anymore).

The point of all that is to say that I think as FC and Linux/OSS mature,
there will be less demand for a steady stream of updates, and a 9-12
month release cycle would probably be quite acceptable.  In fact, if
things go the direction they seem to be, most people would probably
prefer a longer-lived Core infrastructure, and look more to Extras for
faster-moving updates to day-to-day apps.

Just my perception.

DC