Proposed and major updates policy

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 01:31:27 UTC 2006

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> I second that.
> The lack of FC package update policy is a real pain in the back side.
> The KDE 3.5.x release backlash was just an example of why such a policy
> must be set.

IMHO, the vast majority of updates have been no problem.  KDE however
has been a bit problematic in particular.  Upgrading such a large group
of packages is reckless especially when done without testing.
Unfortunately, I am afraid some developers do not test new updates
before pushing.

I believe we don't need any strict policy like "a week in testing"
repository because the majority of updates are really no problem.  We
should however say "test it and be sure it works, and if you are less
sure put it in testing".  Also bigger updates like an entire new KDE
release definitely must go into testing.

Requiring ALL updates to go into the testing repository will unnecessary
slow down progress.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com