rawhide report: 20060207 changes

Reuben Farrelly reuben-fedora-devel at reub.net
Tue Feb 7 12:30:07 UTC 2006

Just a heads up...

On 7/02/2006 9:34 p.m., Build System wrote:

> initscripts-8.26-1
> ------------------
> * Tue Feb 07 2006 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> 8.26-1
> - revert "rc.sysinit: don't mount usbfs, libusb no longer uses it" change
> - add some ugly hacks to make sure net hotplug doesn't run after unclean
>   shutdown (#177795)
> - don't mount /sys and /proc in rc.sysinit - the initrd already does
>   (<pjones at redhat.com>)

That change breaks any system where there is no initrd (like mine where I build
what I need into the kernel itself).

If you're running a custom built kernel you'll get a pretty nasty series of
failure messages if you don't have an initrd where these mounts are done since
the system is pretty must screwed if there is no /proc and /sys.

Perhaps what would be more appropriate is initscripts to test to see if those
mounts exist (ie have been mounted already) and if so then continue, if not then
mount them then continue.

> - halt: try to unmount tmpfs filesystems before swapoff (#174000,
>   <mitr at redhat.com>)

[I was also further hosed when the Fedora kernel wouldn't boot, it hung mounting
something in fstab, but I'll look more into that].

reuben