use of downloaded SRPMS

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Tue Feb 7 19:45:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 05:36:52 -0500  Mike A. Harris asked:
> 1) How many people actually download the SRPMS disk images?
>
> 2) How many people actually really use them for anything?

I download the SRPMS for RHEL, and for non-test releases of Fedora Core.
I frequently modify and rebuild (on both x86 and x86_64):
	kernel  (perfctr extension)
	glibc  (find and fix the bugs)
and sometimes
	gcc  (dwarf2 unwind)
	wvdial,minicom,etc.  (dialup seems to be a forgotten
	                      stepchild, but it's still required)

I also burn a DVD of the SRPMS, and keep it as a defense against
possible future license changes which might restrict my activities
with respect to then-readily-available sources.